Part III, renamed "Clinical Skills" (CSE), consists of a single section – the 4-station Clinical Skills Examination that was one of the two sections that comprised the former Part III.
In CSE, the candidate examines a different standardized patient at each of four 30-minute stations, in the performance of 20 clinical skills including Injections Skill Examination. Although this examination primarily measures psychomotor skills, it contains an assessment of affective (i.e., clinical habits and attitudes) and communication skills, as well as some interpretation of clinical findings. CSE is administered in one 3.75 hour session; however, because of the limited number of candidates who may be examined per session, multiple sessions are scheduled. Click here for the August 2013 - July 2014 CSE Candidate Guide. Candidates are expected to carefully and thoroughly review the Candidate Orientation information contained in this document prior to arrival at the test center. Most of this information will not be repeated during the on-site Candidate Orientation. Click here to view the text for the August 2013 - July 2014 CSE Station Evaluation Forms.
Rescheduling CSE or ISE:
- Candidates may reschedule either Part III or ISE without incurring any rescheduling fees 31 or more days before the currently scheduled exam date. This change can be done online, by the candidate.
- Candidates who want to reschedule either Part III or ISE 30 days or less before the currently scheduled exam date will incur a $150 rescheduling fee. This change cannot be taken care of online, by the candidate. After the fee is paid, NBEO/NCCTO staff will call the candidate and the exam date will be rescheduled with staff assistance.
For CSE, the only acceptable reasons for rescheduling are situations which are beyond your or our control. Such rescheduling is dependent upon available openings. Candidates should submit their special requests for CSE along with their application. Candidates should email, mail or fax any special requests to the NBEO office. The National Board will try to meet these special requests but cannot guarantee that the requests can be met.
The National Board reserves the right to add or cancel a test session at any time. If a session is canceled, registrants will be reassigned to the nearest available date.
Student candidates are permitted to take Part III starting August of the year prior to graduation. However, an individual candidate's official score report containing Part III scores will not be released until the National Board has received official notification that the candidate has graduated. Also, no official score reports containing Part III scores will be released to any candidate until the posted date for Release of Score Reports.
Specific content for each section is linked to a PDF file. To ensure your ability to read these PDF files, please download the latest version of the Adobe Acrobat Reader® by clicking here.
NOTE: The table below reflects the CSE content and format for August 2013 and is subject to change.
|August 2013 - July 2014 CSE Content
|Clinical Skills - Practical examination with 4 Stations and 20 skills
1. Case History / Patient Communication
2. Patient Education
3. Binocular Extraocular Muscle Motility Evaluation
4. Static Confrontation Visual Fields
5. Pupil Testing
6. Near Cover Test
7. Blood Pressure Measurement
8. Ophthalmic Lens Evaluation
10. Goldmann Applanation Tonometry
11. 3-Mirror Gonioscopy
12. Collagen Implant Insertion and Removal
13. Soft and GP Contact Lens Insertion, Evaluation, and Removal
15. Distance Subjective Refraction
16. Heterophoria and Vergence Testing at Distance
17. Accommodation Testing
18. Binocular Indirect Ophthalmoscopy
19. Dilated Biomicroscopy and Non-Contact Fundus Lens Evaluation
20. Injections Skill Examination*